Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Whitney Houston, 1963-2012


No matter how many times the death of a celebrity takes me by surprise or makes me remember a particular song or movie that moved me, I'm never prepared for something quite like the death of Whitney Houston.  

I was at work tonight when I first heard the news.  One of my employees said he heard it on the radio, and I refused to believe him at first.  For some bizarre reason I thought he was joking, though why you would joke about something like that is beyond me.  I had to leave the store and go to one of the restaurants in the mall because they always have CNN on.  I stood there for about 5 minutes in a little bit of shock.  It's not because I personally knew her or even felt as if I did.  Instead it felt as if part of my childhood and young adult life has suddenly disappeared.

I can't remember a time in my life when I didn't listen to her.  She had one of those voices that moved me, even when I was too young to really understand the words.  I stayed with her through the 80s and 90s, hoping and praying that she would get away from a destructive marriage to Bobby Brown.  I cheered when she finally left him, and prayed for a big comeback.  Though she never regained the status she once had, she never faded in talent or strength of mind.  I loved her new music as much as I did her older hits.

She is a talent and human being who will be missed by millions.  I pray for her friends and family.  I for one will be one of those who will miss her new music that will never be created, but I will take comfort in all that she has done before.





No comments:

Post a Comment