Pages

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Black History For Life: Hazel Scott

HAZEL SCOTT...More Than A Woman


Ms. Hazel Scott was a world renowned pianist and singer.
Along with Ms. Lena Horne she had the distinction of being in several all white cast movies. They recorded her segments almost completely separated from the rest of the movie and COMPLETELY SEPARATED from the all white cast so that Ms. Scott’s great performances could be taken out. When these films played in the south , almost always her performances were never seen.

In July of 1950 she became the first Black woman to have her own television show. Despite the very present “objections” of southern sponsors, it was the condemnation that Ms. Scott “might’ be a communist that cut her show and American career short.

I came across the legacy of Ms. Scott years after her death, while watching an interview of her son Adam Clayton Powell III. I was so amazed that I was never taught about this woman who had no peer on the piano and was also a stanch activist.

Hazel Scott taught me the fact that “pretty women” can be down to. There was a point in my young ignorant life that I wrote off a lot of folks presuming them too “attractive” to have struggled.

Hazel Scott also got interested in the many of women’s stories that are never heard when discussing activism and contributions to civil rights and freedom.

Each and every time I see a bright talent like Alicia Keyes take a stage, I wonder what would happen if more young artists followed her example.


No comments:

Post a Comment