Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2009

More from Point Reyes

I had a bunch more pics to show you from our trip to Point Reyes National Seashore. Here are some flowers that were growing right out of a cliff:
and here, from Tomales Bay, are some anemones (I think):These were everywhere at the water's edge; some were out of the water, as the tide was out. I guess they'll just be okay until the water comes back, or they wouldn't have built there, right?

After seeing the point and cliffs, we came down to the beach at the bottom of the cliff. Here are a couple of young gulls at different stages of their development. I think this one is a first-winter Ring-billed Gull:Mostly white, with the ring on the bill.
But this solid gray guy--what is he?He was very audacious and came almost right up to us to see what we were doing. Okay, Bill of the Birds' Identify Yourself says, "Gulls start out brown and end up gray or black and white." I've got a gray one here, most definitely, so he's probably a third year, I think? The thing that's throwing me off is that red bill with the black tip -- it's like a tern's bill. But he's too big to be a tern, isn't he?

By now, the cold was no longer bracing and invigorating (Matty's words when we were up on the point); we had to leave! The water was freezing, but I did make sure to dip my toes in. It wasn't the first time for me and the Pacific, but it also wasn't the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment