Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Favorite Fictional Characters --- Nancy Drew


This was a rather hard post for me to do. I wanted to post about the character who got me interested in mysterious the most. Which meant I would have to think of the character that hooked me not the character I read first. Originally I thought I would do this on Encyclopedia Brown since I think his books were the first mysteries I read. Then I considered the Hardy Boys, whose adventures I thoroughly enjoyed. I finally had to decide on Nancy Drew though for two reasons.

The first is that I probably read more of her books then the other two combined. The second was I enjoyed them more, I had more fun reading them then the others and found myself on the edge of my seat every time she was put in danger.

The star of more books than I can count and a few stage adaptations, Nancy Drew is one of those cultural icons that will never fade and will be with us forever. I read my first Nancy Drew book in the 5th grade and quickly went through every book my school library had (Minnehaha Elementary in Two Harbors, MN). After that I tackled the Two Harbors Public Library and finished off those as well.

There was just something so fearless and gutsy about her that you rooted for her and just knew she would solve the case either alone or with her friends Bess and George. Of course you can forget her boyfriend the adorable Ned Nickerson. She used her brains and wit to solve every case put before her.

For those who have never read these books before I encourage you to give them a try. Those of you who are familiar with them I hope you give the a second look and rediscover your love of them once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment