Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Stephanie's Favorite Fictional Character --- Elphaba


 I am very happy to turn this weeks Favorite Fictional Character post over to someone whom I have come to respect very much.  Stephanie of Misfit Salon is a brilliant blogger and writer who has never steered me wrong.  We have remarkably similar taste sometimes and I know that anytime I want a book that is a little dark, odd, or just plain on the strange side, I can turn to her.  She publishers her own webzine, Misfit, that showcases the kind of short fiction I love.  If you don't know her or it's been a while since you have visited, please go on over and say hi to one of my favorite bloggers.


I am so very pleased to participate in my first ever Favorite Fictional Character, and as difficult a task as choosing which among my many choices, I went with someone who embodies my misfit tendencies:  Elphaba from Wicked the Musical. 

She is, of course, the heroine of Wicked the novel by Gregory Maguire, but as anyone who has read both the book and seen the musical, there are only slight resemblances between the two (and very little passing resemblance to the villain in the original story by Frank L. Baum).  The story works for me in both forms in different ways, but I found that Elphaba is portrayed in a more appealing way in the musical.  (Plus you have the catchy songs and breathtaking set design!)

Everything I love and admire about Elphaba is portrayed in the musical’s climactic number, Defying Gravity.  She is the ultimate outcast and has been so since the day she was born....green.  Misunderstood, rebellious, about to be persecuted, and ultimately abandoned by her best friend, Glinda, Elphaba sticks to her guns, draws on her magic powers and, with the soldiers banging down the door, rises with a defiant vow:


So if you care to find me
Look to the western sky!
As someone told me lately:
"Everyone deserves the chance to fly!"
And if I'm flying solo
At least I'm flying free
To those who'd ground me
Take a message back from me
Tell them how I am
Defying gravity
I'm flying high
Defying gravity
And soon I'll match them in renown
And nobody in all of Oz
No Wizard that there is or was
Is ever gonna bring me down!



I embrace this powerful message – that you have to stand up for what you believe in, even when everyone is against you and thinks you’re the Wicked Witch.  Rise above it and defy gravity!
  
My gratitude, Ryan, for the opportunity to gush about one of my favorite misfits!

No comments:

Post a Comment