Pages

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Amy Winehouse, 1983-2011


I'll be the first one to admit, that despite how talented Amy Winehouse was, I was turned off of her by her erratic behavior.  The first time I heard her sing "Back to Black", I was blown away by the voice.  It had that soulful roughness that I love so much.  She took me back to an era long gone and a style that I wish more singers would embody.  Unfortunately she embodied all the bad aspects of that style as well.

Addiction to drugs and alcohol, along with eating disorders kept threatening to derail a once promising career.  The more chaotic her life got, the more it got in the way of the music.  While I still loved listening to her, I stopped paying attention to the rest of her.  Now that she has passed away, I wish someone would have payed more attention to her.  Had stopped her from going down a road that has claimed more than it's fair share of promising talent.

As I sit here listening to her sing, I'm hoping that she will finally find the peace she never seemed to know in life.



No comments:

Post a Comment