Pages

Friday, October 9, 2009

Calliope Hummingbird!

I just watched a male Calliope Hummingbird at my mom's backyard feeder! Lifer! I didn't have time to get the camera before he zoomed off, but you can bet I'll be watching for him from now on. I'd only seen a female before, and I couldn't tell whether it was a Ruby-Throated or a more exotic but just as likely Black-Chinned. According to the guides, both females look pretty much identical.

I've set up my spotting scope in the dining room, near a window from which my dad removed the screen for me, with the scope trained on the hummer feeder. My mom has been delighted with the results, watching the mostly female hummers visit at almost regular times during each day. She called me over from my pancakes this morning, saying that there was a new hummer feeding -- and sure enough, the long chin stripes confirmed the ID. It was too cloudy to see the red; they just looked like long thin dark streaks, but still -- woo-hoo!

I started re-reading Kenn Kaufman's Kingbird Highway last night, and I was amused to find that I shared his attitude about traveling and moving around the country; he thought only about what new birds he'd be able to see in the new landscape, never about the difficulty of the transitions. That's pretty much what's been keeping my spirits up in this time of constant change and (so far, at least) disappointment.

What's also helped is the sweet and encouraging comments of all you bloggy pals. I sure hope to be able to deliver some good news on the job front soon.

Niblet's taken to hiding under the bed for most of the day, much to my disappointment. His grandma has been spoiling him something fierce, giving him carrots along with his usual veggies (cilantro, parsley, and broccoli stems). He'll come out, grab the carrot, and dash back under the bed. Some grandson he is; he won't even allow her to pet him! I fear he's been a little depressed without Matty's attentions, but he seems physically fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment