Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Book meme

Boxer has just tagged me with a book meme, and here are the rules:
  1. Pick up the nearest book of 123 pages or more.

  2. Find page 123.

  3. Find the first 5 sentences and read them.

  4. Post the next 3 sentences.
The book closest to me is "This Common Secret: My Journey as an Abortion Doctor" by Dr. Susan Wicklund. Dr. Wicklund is an abortion provider, who for a time was the only doctor providing abortions in a three state area. She would literally fly from state to state, often hiding in the trunk of a car from the airport to some point away from the airport that was deemed safe for her to switch to the passenger seat. For years the "Lambs of God" were camped out on her property, stalking her daughter at school, and threatening them on a daily basis.

I'm telling you this to set up the three sentences (actually more than three, because I always question authority) that I'm about to share.

"He told me I should have the pistol on me at all times, if only to get completely used to it. I always unloaded it when I came home to Marypat and Al's, but every day I wore it.

One of the first days I wore the gun, two acquaintances came by and asked if I would join them in a nearby cafe for beer and a sandwich after work. I changed into jeans and a large, loose-knit sweater and went out the door, happy for the invitation. Midway through the meal I felt one of the loops on the sweater catch on the release of the holster. The pistol came loose and slipped under my arm. The heavy weapon flopped into the sweater fabric, started to slide toward my hip.

Just what I needed, I thought. Way to make a great impression, guns falling out of my clothes."
I have known Susan for many years, and find her to be a wonderful and courageous woman. She has truly been on the front line in this culture war, and thankfully has lived to tell her story. She is one of my inspirations for doing the work that I do, and why I would like everyone to get involved in our First Freedom First campaign. If you have not clicked on the ad in the sidebar to sign the petition, please do so now.

And coming soon, a major announcement about a big event taking place on March 26! Stay tuned!

I will tag:
Jess at I was just wondering
Dean Wormer at The Dean's Office
Dr. Zaius at Zaius Nation
Mary Ellen at The Divine Democrat
Distributorcap NY

No comments:

Post a Comment