Pages

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Updates of all sorts!

by the numbers...

1. Last night, I heard a very eerie-sounding call from the wooded hillside across the road: an Eastern Screech Owl! WOO-HOO! A new yardbird! I'd seen these sweet little owls before, both in Texas and here, but I'd never heard that call. If you've not heard a screech owl before, give it a listen--spooooky! (my owl did both the A song and the B song found on that link)

2. Some Joan Baez fans--and new visitors to the bloggy!--must have been playing with the google yesterday, as Joan has moved into a commanding lead with 45 votes for best female singer! I need to go over to the YouTubes (as opposed to the "series of tubes") and listen to her sing.

3. I saw a huge flock of red-winged blackbirds moving north over our valley last evening. I'd noticed that you can no longer hear the "oh-ka-lee!" calls on the marsh as well, though on Sunday there were still a few RWBLs hanging around being territorial. Are they starting to migrate? Why would they go north?

4. Found two froggies in the yard last night but didn't have my camera: a Southern leopard frog (beautiful!) and a tiny little reddish frog that I couldn't ID. Might've been a baby spring peeper?

No comments:

Post a Comment