Pages

Friday, August 8, 2008

LOLcats are irresistible--even to Joan Baez, I bet!

Well, I'm listening to Joan Baez--I've heard "Diamonds and Rust," "Goodbye, Angelina," "500 Miles," "There But Fortune," "Jerusalem," and "For All We Know." My very opinionated assessment: right off, I think she is a first-rate guitarist. She's incredible, finger-picking that lick that goes under her vocals for "Diamonds," for instance. Amazing. Now, for her voice--I have to say that I'm not a fan. I really wanted to like her singing, but I just don't! It's a little falsetto-ey/operatic for my taste. But did I mention she's an excellent guitarist?

So--I'm sorry, all you Joan Baez fans--I'm a fan of her guitar-playing, and I love the fact that she loves birds, and her politics and activism are stirring and admirable. But the voice? I gotta say: meh. Give me Streisand or Fitzgerald, or any number of other singers, any day.
Now--for the business of clearing out Celine Dion for someone else. No other singer has gotten more than one comment/vote in the last post update. But we got suggestions: Eva Cassidy, Etta James, and Cher! Please either comment/vote one of these three in, or add someone new--but whoever takes out Celine is going to need at least two votes.
So--who's it gonna be?
P.S.--whilst googling for Joan Baez singing "Cucurrucucu Paloma," one of my favorite songs from when I was wee, I came across this unfortunate display. Watch at your own peril.

No comments:

Post a Comment