Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

ANITA HILL: setting the record straight



"... I will not stand by silently and allow him, in his anger, to reinvent me."

Today's New York Times op-ed by Anita Hill is a must read!
In the portion of his book that addresses my role in the Senate hearings into his nomination, Justice Thomas offers a litany of unsubstantiated representations and outright smears that Republican senators made about me when I testified before the Judiciary Committee ... A number of independent authors have shown those attacks to be baseless. What’s more, their reports draw on the experiences of others who were familiar with Mr. Thomas’s behavior, and who came forward after the hearings. It’s no longer my word against his.

Justice Thomas’s characterization of me is also hobbled by blatant inconsistencies. He claims, for instance, that I was a mediocre employee who had a job in the federal government only because he had “given it” to me. He ignores the reality: I was fully qualified to work in the government, having graduated from Yale Law School (his alma mater, which he calls one of the finest in the country), and passed the District of Columbia Bar exam, one of the toughest in the nation.

Clearly, it is Justice Thomas who is "a mediocre employee" In his time on the Court he has contributed virtually nothing. Of the two, the country would be much better served had Anita Hill been confirmed instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment