Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

On the road again ...

As mentioned earlier I'm in Denver, what I didn't tell you is that I'm here attending the Creating Change conference. Celebrating 21 years, Creating Change is the largest gathering of LGBT activists in the country. More than 2,000 are expected.

The conference theme is "Power is sexy" and "Action is HOT" and the opening plenary was certainly hot, hot, hot.

MC Kate Clinton warmed up the crowd by leading a group cleansing to rid the country of any bad energy left behind from eight years of Bush & Co. Kate then introduced a true champion of grassroots organizing, Dolores Huerta. If you are not familiar with her work, I strong suggest you Google her name and check it out!

Dolores has worked for more than four decades to make this a better country. She, along with Cesar Chavez, organized the United Farm Workers Union, and Dolores has been involved in many civil rights movements over the years, the most recent to try and defeat California's Prop 8.

In a lighter moment Dolores talked about her first meeting with candidate Barack Obama, where he mentioned that he had stolen her signature line (and one she coined a few decades ago) "Yes We Can." Her responds to him was: "Yes.You.Did!"

I've known Dolores for nearly 20 years, and she never ceases to amaze me every time I hear her speak.

This is my eighth Creating Change, so it's also fun to reconnect with friends from around the country -- and make new friends. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment