Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

Niblet update

FINALLY UPDATED! But not with pics from the vet--I was too busy being worried about my little Son, Moon, and Stars ™ to take pics there. But here he is the day after, running around like nothing had happened.


My prediction of an abscess (finally looked up how to spell that; I knew I had it wrong but was just too lazy to check) was correct. My baby boy and I made it to the vet on Friday, and Dr. Sayre confirmed it.

Niblet was so good and so brave throughout the exam and procedure. First, Dr. Sayre used a flea comb to pull some of the scab-crusted fur out. Niblet didn't even flinch! Then she examined the area and got a little sample of the fluid that was seeping out of the lump for microscopic examination: bacteria.

So she put a numbing gel on the area, then gave him a shot of novacaine. She then took him in the back after he'd numbed up and lanced the lump. She said she cleaned it all out. He had two tiny (1/8") incisions, and the lump was gone.

Little Nibble and I came home, and I have to dose him with antibiotics twice a day for ten days, and a pain med once a day for five days. Both are liquid, and I have to do a Steve Irwin-style jump onto Niblet so I can hold him between my knees/thighs and put a little needle-less syringe into his mouth and squirt in the meds. He doesn't much like it, of course --- but I do reward him with a baby carrot or a dried banana chip, which he does like.
You can kinda see some of the medicine stuff she put on there in this photo. By this point, he'd done a little comb-over action and you couldn't even see his bald spot.
He's still just as bouncy and energetic as before, for which I'm thankful. He's just such a brave little man-bunny. He should make a full recovery soon.

Thanks for all your good wishes for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment