Pages

Friday, February 12, 2010

Start of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics


Today marked the begining of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics and I couldn't be more excited.  I have been an Olympics junkie since I was a kid and I still feel like  I'm my son's age when I sit down in front of the TV and watch some of the best atheletes in the world compete in some amazing sports.

Sadly with the death of Georgian luger, Nodar Kumaritashvili, during a training run today, they are getting off to a depressing start but I know the rest of the athletes will, in part, dedicate their own competitions to the memory of a young man who paid the ultimate price to fullfill his dreams.

I'm getting ready to watch the opening ceremony with my son and hopefully I will get to watch a few games of curling, don't ask.  So for the next 16 days I will be spending all my free time, watching some of the best athletes in the world go for their dreams and hopefully my son will learn that reagardless of where the athletes place, it's the journey and dedication that counts most. 

Besides, the mascots this year are awfully cute.


Sumi: a thunderbird that enjoys alpine skiing in Whistler

Quatchi: a Sasquatch, and a cute one at that

Miga: a cute, huggable, dance-crazy, flying sea bear

No comments:

Post a Comment