Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Obama's Verbal Gymnastics

I had not intended to post about this, but SueJ at Nailing Jello to the Wall got me thinking about the upcoming election and the current status of marriage equality in the United States.

Her post, Barack Obama: Sometimes he makes me feel all lightheaded. But not in a good way. is really excellent! Obama has promised he will be a "different" kind of leader -- but will he?

I think I should have the legal right to marry my future ex-wife? Heck, when former Representative -- now presidential candidate -- Bob Barr debated the Defense of Marriage Act with Elizabeth Birch (director of the Human Rights Campaign at the time), Birch asked Barr: "Are you defending your first, second or third marriage?"

Sen. Obama has somehow managed to fall into the trap that marriage equality should be a states rights issue. My question, which I left as a comment on SueJ's blog, is: "I wonder if Obama would have supported Emancipation, plantation by plantation?"

.

No comments:

Post a Comment