Pages

Monday, March 31, 2008

In Memoriam - Jan Welch

A dear friend, who has battled cancer for more than a year and a half, has died. Jan was there for me during some challenging times over the past decade. She will be missed.

Eleanor Janet “Jan” Welch, a lifelong feminist activist, died at her home in Alexandria, VA on March 31 of complications related to pancreatic cancer.

Originally from Pennsylvania, Jan grew up in Washington, DC and returned to Pennsylvania to attend Temple University where she studied English and horticulture. Jan owned and operated her own landscaping business in Philadelphia where she was always proud of having exhibited at the renowned Philadelphia Flower Show. After returning to DC in the late 1970’s, Jan managed Blackistone’s Florist. She continued her love of flowers and plants throughout her life. Her favorite and last job was working for Pulp—card, gift, and everything store in DC.

In the early 1970’s, Jan was chapter president of Philadelphia NOW and considered the first out lesbian chapter president in the country. Jan leaves behind her devoted partner of 26 years, Alice Cohan.

Jan had created a "bucket list" -- and I was so honored that she included on that list attending the taping of our simulcast last week. She had brunch with friends over the weekend, spent a wonderful night at the theater with her partner Alice, and gently fell asleep. I'm so grateful that her final moments were so peaceful.

A dog lover, she adored Braco, and Braco adored Jan. I rented the basement apartment in Jan's home for about five years. I often worked long hours, and Jan would go downstairs to play with Braco while I was at work. That meant a lot to me.

When I needed major surgery, it was Jan who went to the hospital with me. She was semi-retired, but never at a loss for things to do. This wonderful friend cleared her schedule for nearly three weeks to take care of me during my recovery. That's the kind of friend she was.

I learned of Jan's cancer in October 2006. In December of that year Braco Lee was diagnosed with Cushing's disease. Both of my dear friends are now physically gone, but will remain in my heart forever. And if there is a heaven I'm sure the two of them are together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment