Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Dan Savage's Response to the use of F-Word just got Worse


In a response to GOProud and the use of the F-word, Dan Savage wrote an interesting piece.

Here's the part that baffled the frak out of me.
And "faggot" is a word I've used to describe myself (on MSNBC!), it's a term I've used to describe my husband (in books!), it's a term my friends and I use to describe each other (all the time!). "Faggot" isn't an insult in my book—that's why I had to stick the word "house" in front of it.
Really, Dan? This is your answer? If so, this is a horrible response. He doesn't think it's an insult, so he can use this word anytime, all-time.

Well, Dan... There are millions of us who would greatly disagree with you. There are millions of us who remember the first time we heard that word. We remember the impact of the F-word and how deep that word cut when it was hurled at us.

But for you to think of it as a play name amongst friends... That's the insult. 

And the fact you head up a national campaign that views the F-word as an insult, that's really screwed up.

No comments:

Post a Comment