Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

A rare crosspost to my other bloggy--UPDATED!

Tired of thinking today; I am working on a mind-numbing project at work which involves check part numbers online. 3,400 part numbers. Three thousand four hundred partnos. As Matty Boy so aptly put it:

Only I think I have the cross-eyed, from looking at this spreadsheet of partnos.

So here's my question for you, as I look up partnos and listen to music in my tiny cubey:

Who's your favorite singer of all time? I mean, the one you think is the best voice you've ever heard.

P.S.--I still haven't had time to play with my fossil stuff from Maryland. Soon, people. Soon.

UPDATE! Here on my birdy blog so far, each commenter picked at least one female singer. On my other (political), almost all the super-opinionated types refused to pick! Here is a list culled from your comments:

Joan Baez (2 votes, including a tie with Madame Callas)
Ella Fitzgerald
Maria Callas
Eva Cassidy

All female vocalists--interesting! One person on the political blog did pick Paul McCartney.

Shall we qualify, then? To get a few more names into the mix? Here are a few thoughts:
1. My birding pal from work Hillel and I discussed the fact that some people are great singers (technically proficient, beautiful voice, etc.) while others are great vocalists, able to interpret a song like no one else but not necessarily the best technical voices. I think someone like Chrissie Hynde falls into this category. Not always pitch-perfect but emotionally honest and gut-wrenching.
2. The male/female thing--personally, I prefer the voices of women to men (go figure). However, someone like Andrea Boccelli can make me stop in my tracks to listen to him, as can Eric Clapton. Bono is also excellent. However, all the people on my initial list were females, from Streisand (the total package) to Shelby Lynne, Sinead O'Connor, and Alison Krauss (who IMHO could be, as the liner notes on one of her CDs say, "simply the best singer on the planet").
3. The question of genre loomed large for many. Let's narrow it to your favorite kind of music, with your favorite voice in that genre. Or not--whatever!

Some ideas to get your brains out of the dumb on a beeee-yootiful Friday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment