Pages

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Recommended Read

Sometimes I visit the library with a purpose. I have a certain author in mind or a book title to find and that's my goal. Most times I browse the stacks and let titles catch my eye or a cover intrigue me. Then I pull out the book, read the blurb, and make a decision. Depends on my mood. I read many genres, often with no rhyme or reason. And yes, sometimes, I want a short book. Other times, I want to hunker down with a tome.

Invisible Boy by Cornelia Read leaped into my hands the other week and I devoured this book. It's so much fun to crack open a story by an unfamiliar author and get drawn into a tale, a voice, and a style.

Madeline Dare is helping a friend clean up an old family cemetery and shockingly finds a small skull and bones, rib bones that show being crushed. Police are called and the mystery commences. Who was the child? Why was he tucked into a corner of this cemetery? Madeline is ultimately hit by a car, threatened, and afraid for herself and family. Yet, her wisecracking sense of humor sends the story into high gear and the pages turning.

When I closed the book, I smiled and said, "Wow." Invisible Boy proved to be a rolicking read, and I shall look for the author's other books. Her style is current, a tad snarky, and tight. This gem was a find, and I shall return to the library seeking other jewels on the shelves.

Have you read a book lately that had that Wow! factor?

No comments:

Post a Comment