Pages

Friday, March 27, 2009

In Memoriam - Dan Seals


For those of us over 50, who hasn't sung this to (or about) someone you've loved?

I'm not talking 'bout moving in,
And I don't want to change your life.
But there's a warm wind blowing,
The stars are out, and I'd really love to see you tonight.


Sadly Dan Seals, the man who first sang this so long ago has died.

Dan Seals, who performed as England Dan in the folk-pop duo England Dan and John Ford Coley and later returned to his roots as a country singer and songwriter, died Wednesday at his daughter’s home in Nashville. He was 61.

The cause was complications of the treatment of mantle cell lymphoma, said Tony Gottlieb, his friend and manager. [...]

Mr. Seals’s first widespread success as a performer came with the smooth-voiced harmonies of England Dan and John Ford Coley. Their first single, “I’d Really Love to See You Tonight,” reached No. 2 on the pop charts in 1976. The duo had eight more light-rock hits over the next four years, including “Nights Are Forever Without You,” which also reached the Top 10 in 1976.
And with Facebook gaining popularity among older subscribers, who hasn't reconnected with someone special from their past?

Hello, yeah, it's been a while.
Not much, how 'bout you?
I'm not sure why I called,
I guess I really just wanted to talk to you.
And I was thinking maybe later on,
We could get together for a while.
It's been such a long time,
And I really do miss your smile.


An artist with a social conscience, Seals addressed racism:

In the video for his 1989 single “They Rage On,” Mr. Seals, whose Bahai faith taught tolerance and unity, addressed prejudice by depicting an interracial relationship.
I would substitute "respect" for "tolerance". May you rest in peace Dan Seals -- my thoughts are with your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment