Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Why I hate "politically correct"

If I hear the words “politically correct” one more time I might throw up. I’m sure this phrase wasn’t coined by a liberal/progressive person or group. It’s a tool often used by right wing conservatives to try and silence, or at least marginalize, anyone who expresses an opinion they disagree with. But what I think is even MORE egregious is when alleged progressives use it as a weapon against other progressives.

I will not name names here, but this post was prompted by something I just read regarding Sally Field and FOX network. I’m not going to “out” the author, because I have met and like them – but I think their post is playing directly into a divide and conquer strategy that has worked so effectively for the Bush/Cheney/Rove political machine.

I don’t give a fuck whether or not anyone thinks Ms. Fields is an appropriate spokesperson for the anti-war movement. The bottom line is that she has as much right to voice her opinion about the war as anyone.

If I’m against the war, and I want that sentiment express in public as often as possible, does that make me “politically correct?”

If I think the Jena 6 are getting screwed by the justice system, and the actions against them are steeped in racism, does that make me “politically correct?”

If I think women should make decisions about their reproductive health care, instead of Congress and the President, does that make me “politically correct?”

If I think couples in love should have the right to be legally married, regardless of their sexual orientation, does that make me “politically correct?”

And if I think everyone in this country has a right to affordable healthcare, an opportunity for a decent education, and should receive a living wage for the work they do, does that make me “politically correct?”

If it does … then sign me the fuck up now! And if you don’t like it … that’s too fucking bad.

I do believe the adage “if you’re not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.” If you claim to be anything OTHER than a neo-con, and you are baiting people with the “politically correct” tag … you are part of the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment