Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Once, I had a secret love ...

National Coming OUT day is celebrated every October 11, but it took a couple of celebrities a few extra days to take the plunge!

This week WNBA basketball great Sheryl Swoopes revealed that she is a lesbian. In interviews with The Advocate, After Ellen, and numerous broadcast media, Swoopes said: "I'm just at a point in my life where I'm tired of having to pretend to be somebody I'm not. I'm tired of having to hide my feelings about the person I care about. About the person I love."

You go girl!!

As one of the superstars of the league and arguably its best spokeperson, Swoopes's decision to come out is a major event in women's sports. It's also worth noting that Swoopes is the first black woman in the WNBA to come out, and one of the only openly gay black female athletes in American professional sports.

Sheryl Swoopes is a tremendous athlete and terrific role model. Her courage will undoubtedly make it easier for other women and girls to finally come out.


Star Trek's Mr. Sulu Comes Out!

George Takei, best known for his role as Mr. Sulu in "Star Trek," came out in the current issue of Frontiers, a magazine covering the Los Angeles gay and lesbian community.

Takei told The Associated Press on Thursday that his new onstage role as psychologist Martin Dysart in "Equus," helped inspire him to publicly discuss his sexuality.

The current social and political climate also motivated Takei's disclosure, he said.

The 68-year-old actor said he and his partner, Brad Altman, have been together for 18 years.

As we wait to hear the fate of officials within the Bush administration it's refreshing to hear news about a George with real courage and family values.

No comments:

Post a Comment