Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Home again, home again, jiggedy jig

Watch this space--for yummy pears!


After my amazing two days birding in the PA oil region, I’m home. It’s a strikingly sunny day, with a cool breeze making the leaves dance and the grass sway in waves. So much happened while I was away, it seems. The pear, tamarack, and lilac came into full feather:



The lawn turned from a yellow-spotted dandelion field to a white-puff-filled seed factory:


The garden seeds awoke and found the sun:
Baby spinach:
Tiny cilantro:
Sunflowers for the birds:
Green leaf lettuce:

Green beans:
The morning glories that will camouflage the fence around the veggie garden:

But many things remain the same. I was awakened by the noise of the raptors -- the cats -- jumping to the window to watch the birds, chasing each other up and down the stairs, and begging for their breakfast at 6:30a.m. By the oh-ka-LEEEEE and the crazy sora’s call on the marsh. By Mr. Cardinal, demanding I fill the feeders. By the downy, complaining about how the grackles and red-wing blackbirds ate all his suet. By Niblet running and jumping around, bumping and chinning my ankles as I scoop his pellets and fill his hay manger for breakfast.

Most important of all, though, Kat is beside me, asking for her morning coffee and snuggle. I’m truly home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment