Pages

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Andy Griffith, 1926-2012


I wasn't born when The Andy Griffith show was first on the air, and I was way too young to appreciate it when it seemed to be on a channel at least once a day.  I would watch it occasionally, but if I was going to watch an older show in reruns, this wouldn't have been my first pick.  I preferred Perry Mason, The Green Hornet, The Lone Ranger, The Big Valley, or Gilligan's Island.  It wasn't until I was much older that I was able to get into The Andy Griffith Show.  As an adult, I found the show to be a wonderful example of what made TV great back in the day.  It wasn't filled with sex scenes, explosions, or car chases.  It was a simple show about a family and the town they lived in.  It was a show full of wonderful actors who obviously enjoyed what they were doing.

But it was Matlock that made me fall in love with Andy Griffith.  I've always been a huge mystery fan, even as a kid, so if a sleuthing show was on, I watched it.  I always knew that if I was falsely accused of murder I would want Matlock as co counsel with Perry Mason, and Jessica Fletcher leading the investigation team.  I can't begin to tell you how many hours of enjoyment Matlock and Andy Griffith brought me, but I can tell you that know that he has passed, those hours will be cherished even more.


No comments:

Post a Comment